Monday, November 26, 2012

30 Day Book Challenge, Day 11: What is a book you absolutely hated?

I have read many books that did not appeal to me. Some were for classes that I took, some were for book  clubs. But books that I do not like fade quickly from my memory, and so I am having a hard time remembering a book that I absolutely hated. And "hate" is such a strong word! Most books have some redeeming quality about them.

Nevertheless, I can choose a book for this category. It is a book that simply NEVER should have been written because it was impossible to succeed at  what the author set out to do: write a sequel to a classic long after the author of the classic has passed away. One of my all time favorite books is Gone With the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell. I am certain that this book will come up in a later category. The book that I despise is called Scarlett, and it was written by Alexandra Ripley. Ripley attempted to write a sequel to Mitchell's classic, and her attempt is a major disappointment!

First of all, who in their right mind would try to build on something as iconic as Gone With the Wind? Mitchell's one and only novel is a wonder, and it's tragic ending was completely perfect. There was nothing...NOTHING...that should have been added. After a thrilling 1057 pages, it was complete. THE END.

But Ripley couldn't just leave things as they were. The pages that she writes are somewhat of an abomination--beloved characters lose their defining characteristics, and the plot is so amazingly mundane I cannot even remember what Scarlett was about!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I didn't know anyone would dare try such a thing...but yup. Sounds like a lame one. :p
    I'm enjoying reading these! :)

    ReplyDelete