Wednesday, November 14, 2012

30 Day Book Challenge--Day 3: What is your favorite series?

Harry Potter, by J. K. Rowling. Okay, I will probably take some flack for this choice! Since I am a Christian, I am supposed to choose C.S. Lewis' Narnia Series as my favorite!  And I deeply appreciate many books in the Narnia Series. But the truth is, I love  Harry Potter! (If your conscience does not permit you to read this series, then by all means, steer clear of it! I would not presume to say that it is for everyone.)

You must be living under a rock if you haven't at least heard of the Harry Potter series, which consists of seven books and has been made into eight movies. By the way--the books are better!

Harry Potter is boy who was orphaned as a baby after both of his parents were killed by the evil Voldemort. He is raised by a  muggle (non-magical) aunt and uncle until the age of 12, when he learns that he is a wizard, and that he has been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Each book of the series spans one school year at Hogwarts, where Harry takes classes in magic, learns to ride a broom, and discovers true friendship.

The Harry Potter series is full of rich themes, battles between good and evil, and heart-warming relationships. It is a fantasy story, where magic clearly figures prominently; nevertheless, I found the overall message of these books to be consistent with my values as a Christian.

But when all is said and done, it is the creativity and brilliant writing of J.K. Rowling that put Harry Potter at the top of my list. The story is masterfully told; the characters are funny, interesting, and well-developed; and her use of the English language is downright delicious!

Our entire family has devoured the series, it is some of most delightful literature of our time. Pure fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment