Tuesday, November 27, 2012

30 Day Book Challenge, Day 12: What is the first novel you remember reading?

I was a late bloomer when it comes to literature. My mom loves to read, and I remember her dismay when, as a girl, I found reading rather boring. Shocking, I know. It wasn't until my high school years that I started reading for pleasure. All that to say, I did not read treasures like Anne of Green Gables, Little House in the Big Woods, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe until I was well into my adulthood. But apparently my mom did convince me to read a bit as a child, because a few books from my youth linger in my distant memory. One such book is called Beat the Turtle Drum, by Constance C. Greene.

A sweet but melancholy story, Beat the Turtle Drum is about a thirteen year old girl who loses her beloved little sister in a tragic accident. Joss, the care-free younger sister who everyone seems to love, is saving money to rent a horse for a week. Her older sister, Kate, is the steady, reliable child, who wants nothing more than to see her sister's dream come true. Joss and Kate have a sweet relationship, which is well-developed by the author.

I remember crying and crying as I read this book. Sadly, I don't remember much else about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment