Tuesday, November 20, 2012

30 Day Book Challenge--Day 7: What book is underrated?

Since I don't pay attention to best seller lists, Oprah's Book Club, or the book table at Costco (which I miss, but alas, there is no Costco in France!), I really have a hard time judging if a book is underrated. I have no idea what books are popular these days. But one book that I really enjoyed and that I find few people have read is Three Weeks with my Brother, by Nicolas Sparks. I mentioned in an earlier post that I am not a big fan of Nicolas Sparks in general. Frankly, I find his fiction painfully pedestrian. Three Weeks with my Brother is different, though, as it is a personal memoir rather than a work of fiction.

I read Three Weeks with my Brother several years ago in a book club. At that time, though Nicolas Sparks was a well-known author, I had never heard of his memoir. In Three Weeks with my Brother Sparks tells of a trip around the world that he takes with his only brother, weaving tales from their youth together with a day by day account of their adult adventure. The stories from their "trip of a lifetime" bring a nice rhythm and some excitement to the story; the selected "flashbacks" to childhood add depth and perspective to the narrative.

If you only ever read one book by Nicolas Sparks, skip The Notebook and A Walk to Remember, and opt for Three Weeks with my Brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment