Thursday, November 15, 2012

30 Day Book Challenge--Day 4: What is your "Guilty Pleasure" book?

I don't normally go for romance novels, but when a friend recommended the author Charles Martin to me, I found that I had discovered a guilty pleasure. His first novel, The Dead don't Dance is both melancholy and sweet; romantic, without being downright mushy. Well, not too mushy, anyways.

The Dead don't Dance is the story of Dylan Styles, a young husband whose dear wife's life is hanging in the balance after the delivery (and death) of their first baby. He wrestles with issues of grief and joy, hope and disappointment, all while waiting to see if his wife will live or die. I appreciate the way the author weaves faith into the story without sterilizing the story line. The Dead don't Dance is rich with memorable characters, poignant love scenes, and pithy one-liners.

After reading The Dead don't Dance I began checking out other books by Charles Martin from the library, and while they were entertaining, I started to notice a striking similarity between all of his plot lines. So, you know, takes his books in small doses or things get painfully predictable. Other books by Martin that I have enjoyed include Where the River Ends, Wrapped in Rain, and The Mountain Between Us.

If I am in the mood for a little romance, Charles Martin is my preferred author--but I admit this reluctantly! While I think he is better than Nicolas Sparks, he doesn't hold a candle to Jane Austen.

No comments:

Post a Comment