Friday, November 30, 2012

30 Day Book Challenge, Day 13: Who is your favorite author?

I was really struggling to answer this question, so I asked my husband for help. "David, who is my favorite author?"


He didn't hesitate one second before replying, "Shakespeare."

"He's a playwright! Does that count?" I mused, aloud.

"He AUTHORED plays. I think it counts."

Hmmmmm. I wasn't so sure. So I decided to ask my son. "Graham, who is my favorite author?" Again, the response came in a blink of an eye: "Shakespeare!"

"He's a playwright! And a poet! But not a novelist! Do you think he counts?"

"He's an author. Of course it counts."

So, there you have it. According to those who know me best, Shakespeare is my favorite author. I do love the Elizabethan bard! He can turn a phrase better than anyone, he can be funny and silly or pithy and deep. The characters he creates are strangely real and relate-able. But as much as I do LOVE Shakespeare, I prefer to watch his plays than to read them. I have read them, every one. I studied the complete works of Shakespeare in college. And in studying them I gained a deep appreciation for his linguistic brilliance. But his plays were written to be preformed. If you want an taste of his genius, I highly recommend the 1993 Kenneth Branagh production of Much Ado About Nothing!

Apparently my favorite author is playwright.

No comments:

Post a Comment